International Payments

The University of Pittsburgh partners with Flywire to provide a fast and secure way to make international education payments to your student account in PittPAY.

This is the University's only approved method for inbound education payments from outside the U.S. and ensures that your payment can be credited to your student account the moment we receive it.  Start from the Make Payment tab in PittPAY and select "International Payment via Flywire" as your payment method.  Once you select the country you are paying from, you’ll see the payment methods available. Flywire automatically displays the amount in your local currency for each of the available options and provides a Best Price Guarantee on bank transfers. 

The Flywire payment portal is translated into several languages, and you can use their Live Chat, WeChat, Skype, or other options if you have questions.

Payment Instructions

Step-by-step instructions for all international payments

Wait until you have registered for classes and see your tuition and fees posted to your account in PittPAY on the Account Activity tab. Then, the student or any Authorized User can make international payments.

  1. Log into PittPAY using the appropriate login button at the top of this website.
  2. Select the Make Payment tab. Your payment amount will be filled in for you, but you can change it to a lesser amount if you want to pay in multiple transactions (as long as you pay in full by the due date). Do not enter more than you owe for the term; if you do, the excess will be applied as a prepayment for a future term.
  3. Select International Payment via Flywire as your payment method.
  4. Select the country you are paying from. Students paying from China, see “Additional instructions for payments from China” in the gray bar below.
  5. Select your preferred payment method.
  6. Provide information about the payer. The payer may be the student or one of the Authorized Users on the student’s account (a spouse, family member, or friend).
  7. Provide information about the student. The seven digit Student ID/PeopleSoft Number is already filled in for you.
  8. Review and confirm your payment information.
  9. Follow the payment instructions provided by Flywire. For example, if you selected wire transfer as your payment method, your instructions will tell you which bank in your home country to deliver your funds to. If the country you are paying from has special requirements, Flywire will provide you with the information you need to complete those requirements.
  10. Flywire will email you a link you can use to track your payment, so you are not required to create a Flywire account, but we recommend it. If you already have a Flywire account and want to add this payment to it, click Add Payment to get to the Flywire login page.
  11. If you don’t already have a Flywire account, you can create one by clicking Sign Up. If you want to receive SMS (text) alerts to track your payment, provide your mobile phone number.
  12. Once your payment is received at Pitt, you will see it credited to your account in PittPAY on the Account Activity tab and Transaction History screen.
Additional instructions for payments from China

Students and Authorized Users making payments from China must provide documentation that meets the requirements of the People’s Bank of China and the State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE).

Background on the SAFE requirements.
In 2015, the People’s Bank of China and SAFE launched a project to allow licensed Payment Service Providers (PSPs) like Flywire to process cross-border foreign exchange payments from China. While reviewing the program, SAFE increased oversight of PSPs by conducting on-site audits and aggressively enforcing existing regulations of foreign exchange transactions. SAFE’s main objections are to ensure
-    The authenticity of the underlying transactions
-    Accurate, complete, and timely recordkeeping, and 
-    That PSPs are not exceeding the scope of their license.

What is required from students paying from China?
Students must submit a statement from their university to their payment processor that includes the university logo, student’s name, and amount of tuition and fee charges. The Term Statement meets all of these requirements and is easy for students or Authorized Users to generate themselves, in PittPAY. Please note that collection of this document is required regardless of who is processing the payment.

To get your Term Statement:
Wait until you have registered for classes and see your tuition and fees posted to your account in PittPAY on the Account Activity tab. Then, go to the Account Activity tab. Find the term you need. From the blue bar at the top of the term box, click Print Term Statement. Save the Term Statement as a PDF file, so it is ready for you to upload during your international payment.

Next, follow the payment instructions:
Once you have saved your Term Statement as a PDF document, follow the "Step-by-step instructions for all international payments," in the gray bar above. Flywire will prompt you when it is time to upload your Term Statement.

Contact Flywire's multilingual customer support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: or

When should I make my payment?

Wait until you have registered for classes and charges appear on your account in PittPAY.

Can anyone else make an international payment on my account?

Yes, you or one of your Authorized Users can make an international payment on your student account.

How much should I pay?

We can only accept funds that are needed to pay for the charges on your student account. We cannot accept payment for other costs such as off-campus housing, rent, food, utilities, etc. You must fund these living expenses directly to your own personal bank account, not through the University of Pittsburgh and not through Flywire. Therefore, your payment should not exceed the amount of tuition and fees posted to your student account for the current academic term. Any excess amount will be posted as a pre-payment for a future term. You will be notified by email if that happens. If you make an overpayment for the current term, but you will not be attending the University in future terms, we will return the overpayment to you through Flywire, who will send the funds back to your originating bank. You may be assessed a processing fee for the return.

Can I wire money directly to the University's bank account?

The University's banking details are subject to change. Even if you are unable to use the international payment portal for your payment, you must still contact Flywire to register a direct wire payment from your bank to the University's bank. This will ensure that you are using the University's most up-to-date banking information and helps us identify your payment once we receive it so we can post it to your student account right away.

What if I have a U.S. Checking Account or a credit or debit card?

If you already have a checking account in the U.S., you may make payments on your student account in PittPAY by electronic check (eCheck) for no fee. If you elect to pay with a credit card, or with a debit card linked to a U.S. Checking account, a non-refundable convenience fee of 2.75% will apply to each payment.

Who do I contact for questions

Contact Flywire's multilingual customer support team 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:

Help Center:

You can also contact the Student Payment Center during regular business hours: